Sunday, December 1, 2013

Blog 22

I am doing an interview with another person but I also have decided to do a self observation and here is my data from doing so:

Sometimes when I am reading a novel that I know is being adapted to a film in the future, I think about what the adapters are going to change from the novel.  When I know the cast of the adapted film, I try and picture the those actors as the characters when I am reading the novel which could either ruin the experience of reading the novel or help the experience.

What bothers me? I understand that adapters change things from the novels so that it's not exactly like the novels but some adapters take out the important parts to the stories. Like for an example, in The Lucky One written by Nicholas Sparks, there is a character who is the main character, Logan's best friend who plays a big part in the novel and there are flashbacks of their friendships before his friend dies. In the film, there might be two scenes (not 100% sure of how many scenes), the best friend is in.  It seems to me that Sparks made that character not seems as important as he was to Logan in the film as he was in the novel.

What I realized also with another Nicholas Sparks book, The Last Song, there is a difference between the novel and film, too another character difference.  Normally, novels are the first thing written and then it is adapted into film but with The Last Song, Sparks wrote the screenplay first and then the novel. Not many knew this since the novel still came out before the film.  A character that is missing from the film that is in the novel is the reverend who plays a major role in the novel.  While watching the film, I was waiting for the reverend to appear but he never came until the end of the what movie but he only had one line "Ronnie, I have someone I want you to meet." There were many questions going through my mind when watching the movie (I don't remember exactly what those questions were). Even though, there was still an emotional reaction coming from watching the film, it wasn't the same as reading the novel.

Films normally do try and stay true to the novel, they adapt from but I sometimes would like the films to be a little more truer to the novels. Don't take away an important character because that character has an important part they play in the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment