Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Blog 25

This is a DRAFT of my research study paper and I am definitely needing to work on each parts of the paper.


Introduction
Recently there has been more of an interest in the connections between film and novels. Throughout the book, A Theory of Adaptation by Linda Hutcheon with Siobban O’Flynn, the authors discuss different theories of adaptation and exactly what adaptation is.  The book discusses different forms of adaptation with examples of novels to films, novels to stage, screenplay to novels, etc.  A Theory of Adaptation also discusses the appeal of adaptation and why it works and what the point of it really is.
What seems to be  missing in this book is how viewers view adaptation.  Yes, there are discussions of  how each work or don't work but there isn't one big section set aside for the people who read a novel and see the film that it has been adapted into.  Hutcheon and O'Flynn did include an epilogue where  they do discuss how adaptation is perceived but to me, it isn't enough to help authors and adapters figure out the right way to adapt a work is.
In this paper, I will be discussing the connection of adaptation between novels and films by focusing on how viewers of both feel how the works get adapted.  Whether they like or dislike how their favorite novel gets adapted into film.
Literature Review

Methods
            For my research, I have decided to do an interview with a woman who has read novels that have been adapted into film and has experience of opinions whether adaptation between novels and films work or not.  We held this interview in a quiet room of my house which was planned to do the interview for 40 minutes but my participant gave much information that I could use for this paper, in about 20 minutes.  I was planning to have a few more interviews with other people but have decided that one would be enough because I thought each person would have similar answers to the questions that I have come up with.
            Another method that I have used for this research paper is reflection on my own opinions towards this subject.  I have my own experiences and opinions with reading novels and those novels adapting to film.  With using this method, it gives me more data that I can use towards my original research question of how viewers view the way novels are adapted to film and whether on it works or not.



Data and Analysis

No comments:

Post a Comment